Tuesday, June 17, 2014

MUSIC TEACHER PLANNING AND ORGANIZING TIPS AND RESOURCES


I recently read another music teacher's blog about her concept of Concerts. Like her, I have seen a diminished amount of time allotted to Music Class every week. Right now I see students for 40 minutes, 1 time per week. Sometimes I get them for an extra 30 minutes on a shortened school day. It's not very much time to prepare 8-10 songs for a concert. I too used to do more speaking parts and "little plays", but now I am moving towards concerts filled with songs that demonstrate the skills we learn in our Music Class. I enjoy this type of concert because I let the songs evolve as the students learn the skills to perform them.
For example, we might learn "La" in a song and during our classes a student might come up with a different melody using "la"--so we might compose a short song using that melody and perform it for the program. Or, as we play instruments I may let the students compose their own OSTINATO or accompaniment using their ideas. It's very fun and exciting to work with the students in creating the songs for their performances. I now focus on one "play" a year for a special group in an extracurricular setting. 
Planning is essential when getting ready for a concert or program. Communication with the front office and other personnel such as the building manager, teachers, aides, special ed teachers and PE (if you're using the gym) is as important as communicating with the parents. I like to keep things simple but at the beginning of the year I always block in the programs and count backwards to when I need to begin rehearsals. So my FREEBIE for this week includes some planning sheets. You'll find a CONCERT PLANNER, SONG TEACHING SCHEDULE, STAGING AND SET UP PLANNER, CHECKLIST, INDIVIDUAL SONG PLANNER (A Total of 5 Pages) Click here CONCERT PLANNER PACKET

I'm now working through revising many of my products. I combined my Concert Planner with my Lesson Planner and added in some more helpful planning sheets. It's now my MUSIC TEACHER PLANNING PACKET. You'll find most if not all of the planning materials you might need for a music classroom. I revised many of the Free sheets in the Concert planning packet. See what I've been working on for you.

HIGHLIGHTS:
CONCERT PLANNING PAGES (8)
DAILY SCHEDULE PLANNER
WEEKLY SCHEDULE PLANNER
YEARLY CALENDAR PLANNER
Single LESSON PLANNER
WEEKLY LESSON PLANNER
QUARTERLY LESSON PLANNER
YEARLY LESSON PLANNER
NOTEBOOK DIVIDER SHEETS
Class rosters
2 Inspirational posters
ORGANIZATION IDEAS
To do list
Note taking sheet
MUSIC TEACHER PLANNER *LESSONS *CONCERTS *WEEK *MONTH *QUA
With school beginning soon--it'd be nice to have this all printed out in a notebook ready for that first week back. 


For more tips and FREEBIES take a visit to SING PLAY CREATIVELY

Thanks for stopping by!
Sandra

Music Teacher Tips

FEATURED POST

3 Creative Ways to Make Puppets

Springtime music lessons can be so much fun. I like to play a lot of circle games with my students during the last quarter of the s...