Saturday, January 3, 2015

MOVEMENT ACTIVITIES, DANCING AND GAMES CREATE MEMORABLE LEARNING EXPERIENCES

If you think back to the favorite things you did in Elementary School--would they include filling out worksheets?  Some of my most vivid memories happened on the playground!  Yes, I was a top student and loved to read-the literature I gulped down is very memorable-but I also remember spending a lot of time on the "RINGS". I haven't seen this type of play equipment around for a while--there are similar things--but these were big giant rings that you swung on to get from one end to the other. I remember practicing on Saturdays so that I'd be able to be the number 1 "ringer", and to beat the boys. I practiced so much that I wore huge blisters on the palms of my hands. I was about 9 years old, and I remember the pain and frustration of not being able to swing on the rings until my hands healed. It's a very vivid memory that gives me a chuckle now as it demonstrates my competitive spirit.
 So for me, movement and action and doing are all important parts of my lessons and an integral part of my classroom. I think kids learn better when they have something to "do" too. All of my lessons included activities-games-dances of some sort to reinforce the concepts of the lesson material and to create an experience that the kids will remember. So, what do you remember most? Why? And, do you use that information to build your curriculum?
Here's a LINK to an interesting article on why children need movement activities.
Although with the New Year comes another year of age :). I'm committed to continuing to keep movement activities at the top of my list for student engagement and learning.
I recently took a fun Activity Song "Hey, Mr. Snowman" and created several activities to do in addition to just moving to the song. Then, because I want classroom teachers to use movement and music to teach literacy, I added in some writing templates to go with the snowman theme. The first picture is the puppet from the VIDEO.

 The song could be use as a movement activity in any classroom, a brain break, or an integrated writing and music lesson.
I also think a MUSIC TEACHER could use the flash cards for all 3 activities included.


MUSIC TEACHERS could also use the Mp3 Vocal and Karaoke Tracks for a cute PROGRAM for K-2. Imagine the kids singing and jumping in their spaces...or why not have the audience join you?  
 

FOLLOW ME HERE

Google+ Followers