Monday, September 14, 2015

Scarf Activities Galore


Hi Friends,
I love scarf activities so I thought I'd start some blog articles to talk about some of my favorite ones. The great thing about them is that the children are fascinated by a piece of sheer fabric. They love the colors, the texture and the fact that you can see through them. I myself remember being in awe of any fabric that glittered or was sheer or silky.   

For today I'll share just a couple of movements that I do with them.
I use them when I teach TIMBRE, Loud and Soft and TEMPO, Fast and Slow-- as an extension activity using Classical Music.
Here's 3 "moves" I use.

HOLD AND TOSS:


SWISH AND SWAY:


FLIP IT OUT:


I've listed some of the favorites here that you can easily find on itunes or amazon. Some can be used for both Loud and Soft, some just for one or the other.


LOUD and SOFT:
Beethoven: Symphony #5 In C Minor, Op. 67 

Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker - Act 2: Waltz Of The Flowers
Broomsticks and Fire, Alexandre Desplat (Harry Potter Movie)
"Four Seasons" For Violin And String Spring, Op. 8/1 In E Major, I Allegro Antonio Vivaldi
Peer Gynt Symphony,"Morning Mood", Edvard Grieg 
L'Arlesienne-, Georges Bizet


FAST and SLOW:

Flight Of The Bumble Bee, Rimsky Korsakov
Wedding March, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Mendelssohn
The Comedians Gallop, Dmitry Kabalevsky  
Peer Gynt "Morning Mood", Edvard Grieg 


OTHER FAVORITES:
The Nutcracker-March
Mozart-The Magic Flute
Beethoven-Anything
Tchaikovsky-Swan Lake Op. 20 - 10. 

I put together my own SCARF ACTIVITIES IN VIDEO  and PDF Format. It includes Music. You just have to push PLAY!
BRAIN BREAK SCARF ACTIVITY *MOVIE/VIDEO *MATH*PATTERNS*SHA



I really like to have my students listening to Classical music as much as possible. I love watching their faces-the surprise on them when I play it for activities. Using scarves with the music is a great way for them to have the experience of listening and moving which will make it memorable.
Here are some more resources for you to use with Scarf Activities.
I started with this album when I was a new teacher. 
Forgotten Dreams - An Active Listening Lesson
CREATIVE MOVEMENT ACTIVITY-FORGOTTEN DREAMS

Here's a great Blog post about how to make your own scarves!


MUSICAL SCARVES AND ACTIVITIES



PINTEREST BOARD FOR SCARVES

FOLLOW ME HERE

Google+ Followers