New Website! www.singplaycreate.com

New Website! www.singplaycreate.com
New Website! www.singplaycreate.com

FEATURED POST

Sing Play Create New Website!

WWW.SINGPLAYCREATE.COM Hey friends! I hope you've noticed- I've shortened the name of my store to SING-PLAY-CREATE! And. ....

January 15, 2017

How My Personal Goals Help Me to Be a Better Teacher

More than anyone else teachers know how important it is to set goals. We do it in our lesson plans, with our students and with our principals- But do our personal goals have anything to do with our teaching abilities? I think so! I believe that when we teach we are sharing who we are and what we believe. Our core belief system comes across in our teaching methods, classroom management and choice of and implementation of curriculum.
So I thought I'd take a look at my goals from last year and see how I did and then share the direction I'm heading in 2017. These were my goals last year:
Teachers know that helping students set goals will raise student achievement. So I asked myself if my personal goals would help me be a better teacher. When I took a close look at my personal goals, they centered around my teaching career.
Why do I want to get more rest? Because I deal with seven to 8 classes a day and 200+ students every day and it takes ENERGY that doesn't come in a can.
Why do I want to get fit? So I can handle being on my feet all day and doing folk dances with my 4th graders.
Why do I want to simplify my life? Because I want to have the energy to make and create music.
Why do I want to be serious about my blog and my teacherspayteachers store? Because I want to help other teachers and share my talents--make the world a more joyful place.
So, my goals for 2017 are the SAME as my goals for 2016 because they will help me be a better teacher.





Get Rest: Getting enough rest is really difficult for me. I always have too much to do and try to cram in as much as possible into every day. I'm keeping this as a goal for 2017. I'm establishing a better routine for the evening. Now I work out, do a little bit of online work, clean up and then take a really hot bath and go straight to bed. I have a dear friend at work who gave me the bath tip. It really works. Once I come out of the tub, I'm ready to sleep.


Get Fit: I am much more fit! I lost 35 lbs and am back to my "happy" weight zone. I have had to buy all new clothing. It was really hard for me to give away the old clothes and spend the money on new ones. I really struggle with getting rid of things because in my head I think, "I can use that for something". This year the goal is to lose 5-7 more lbs and to get stronger!

Get Simple: I'm still working on this, but I've made great progress keeping things more simple in my every day life. I've had to let go of some things in order to run a business and teach full time. Some things I don't do as much of any more are sewing, cooking, cleaning, yard work, socializing and staying up late. I also have reorganized my garage and my office. Since my children are now out of the "nest", I've been cleaning out the things from the past and leaving space for the things in the future. I made new picture displays for my grandchildren and I've redecorated my house. It's really different to live with just one other person instead of four or five other people. And that has helped keep things simple. My goals is to leave work with my desk looking like this every day!

Get Serious: I've been pretty serious about my blog and TpT store-but there's always room for improvement. The more feedback I get from you, the reader, I'm better able to create things that really do help you in achieving your personal goals. This gal looks pretty serious-but she also has a look of fun about her and a great smile. People love it when you smile. So smile and be serious about your intentions.


So, 2017 is going to be a great year. I'm going to build on the foundation I've established in my next stage of life and continue to move forward helping myself and other teachers enjoy life and to hopefully make a difference in the world, one song at a time.
What are your goals for 2017? How did you do last year?
I hope you'll share them with me! I'd love to read how you're doing.
Sandra



Popular Posts

Music Teacher Tips