Sunday, March 19, 2017

March Folk Songs to Explore and Experience in Music Class

March is such a fun month! With MIOSM, Spring around the corner, and St. Patrick's Day there are so many ways to keep kids engaged! And the best way I have found  to keep my students actively engaged is through movement activities and dances.




What better month than March to share ideas about connecting MIOSM with ST. Patrick's Day and other multi-cultural music.
One thing that music education offers above and beyond any other subject is that it connects CULTURE, MUSIC, LITERACY, SCIENCE, SOCIAL STUDIES, MATH and all ARTS.
And that's why MUSIC EDUCATION is so critical to every child's educational experience.

CHILDREN LEARN THROUGH EXPLORING, EXPERIENCING AND EXPERIMENTING!


Let's Go to Ireland!

EXPLORE

If you want to know a bit of history about Irish Music in America, the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS has a wonderful site with some great information and links.  LINK

I like to have them listen to some IRISH Americans performing Folk Music. One of my favorites is the THE CLANCY BROTHERS

                                
AND "What Can You Do with a Drunken Sailor?"

                              
This classic song is a great one to share too! "Danny Boy" by the Irish tenors with some lovely scenery from Ireland.

                                
If you want to know all about FAMOUS IRISH AMERICAN ACTORS you can check out IMDb

EXPERIENCE

I also teach them about the instruments from Ireland. I put together a slide show with the sounds and pictures of the instruments, but you can show the instruments using some great resources on the web.

Here's a live performance:

                                     

You can find some good information about the basic instruments used in Irish music HERE.

                                      A traditional Celtic Drum, Bodhran maker and musician - Ian Connellan/Lonely Planet Images/Getty Images
I had a harpist come in one time to play songs for the students. They were enthralled! Do you have some artists that you know who would come in and share their talents?                                      

EXPERIMENT

I love to dance and so I'll share some YouTube videos to my students to give them a "picture" of what the dances should look like. After my students watch a video they always perform better. I believe that this happens because they can "model" the performers versus just following my directions.
And of course RIVERDANCE. After watching this the kids will want to dance! 

                                      

                                    

For more fun multi-cultural music ideas, follow this link to some great articles on Connecting Cultures through Music Blog Linky.





MORE CONCERT TEACHING IDEAS

LOOKING for a fun way to keep kids engaged in the Irish way? I composed this fun game song which is available at my TPT store.

                           St. Patrick's Day Game Song "Who Will Catch the Leprechaun 
                   ST. PATRICK'S DAY GAME SONG "WHO WILL CATCH THE LEPRECHAUN?"
                           St. Patrick's Day GAME SONG: "Can You Catch the Leprechaun


If you like reading my blog- try signing up for the newsletter- I give away a freebie every month to hep yu in your classroom.
Share this post on your favorite social media:
Pinterest

Instagram

Facebook

                             
               




Music Teacher Tips

FEATURED POST

3 Creative Ways to Make Puppets

Springtime music lessons can be so much fun. I like to play a lot of circle games with my students during the last quarter of the s...